Density of points

04-27-2020 04:14 AM
chadhickman
Occasional Contributor III

I have a couple point feature classes, where many of the points are fairly close to one another, does anyone have any good suggestions on how to calculate get the density/numbers of points within a specific area?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Chad, you may want to search for Point Density and Kernel Density, they are similar but there are important differences between them.

If you want to use an aggregation method, I personally like to generate a grid of spatial bins, then count how many points are within each bin using the Spatial Join tool. Generate Tesselation is a great tool which can also produce a hexagonal grid of bins (Hexagons are the most complex regular shape that can be tessellated, and have equidistant centres to all their neighbours!).

0 Kudos
chadhickman

Thanks for the response David! I have been experimenting with the Point Density tool but the raster output seems a little cumbersome to work with and I cannot seem to build and/or generate a attribute table for the data. I have attached a image of the points I am trying to create density for. 

Purple Points are the points I am trying to create density for

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Ah ok, those raster density outputs aren't really designed for attribution in a tabular form.

I'd highly recommend making that grid of hexagons (play about with the size you want) then do a spatial join based on those points.

0 Kudos
chadhickman

Is there a specific tool that you use to create the Hexagons?

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

absolutely,

Generate Tessellation—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

this may not be available on your version of arcmap if its quite old however. The fishnet tool would be useful if not.

0 Kudos
chadhickman

Thanks I will experiment some and see what I can find out.

0 Kudos