image information pane

04-27-2020 04:57 AM
Labels (1)
JamesUrbas
New Contributor

In the ArcGIS Pro "Imagery Information Pane", I am trying to use the Image (X, Y) values to determine the pixel row col of the current cursor location in an image that is georeferenced with a rotation.  This doesn't seem to function as I would expect. 

The image X, Y values do not correlate with the underlying pixels of the raw image.  They seem to be based on some kind of virtual raster that is the bounding box of the projected image layer and not underlying image pixels that I am querying.  It works as I would expect if the images show up square in the map view but if they are rotated at all, the XY value no longer corresponds to the raw image data.  It also will not display the image XY if the map view is in a different coordinate system than the image data.

Does this behavior seem correct?  If so, is there another tool in pro that gives the actual pixel XY coordinates of an image with a rotation applied?  Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanZimble
New Contributor II

Hi James,

The behavior you are seeing is incorrect.  In map space, the image (X, Y) coordinates displayed in the Image Information Pane should absolutely correlate to the pixel location of the underlying image.  In fact, the coordinates next to the image (x, y), should display the accurate pixel location of the cursor, or point of interest, regardless of  working in map space or image space.

However, you are running into a bug which is interfering with correctly reporting image (X, Y) coordinates in the Image Information Pane when working in map space (i.e. Projected or Geographic).  We are working on enhancements and bug fixes to the underlying image coordinate system (ICS) that will address this issue so that the coordinates are correctly displayed in the Image Information Pane.

Also of note is the status bar at the bottom of a map view.  When working in image space, the image coordinates are displayed in parentheses next to the ground coordinates.

If you don't mind, can you verify that the image (X, Y) coordinates are correlating correctly to the underlying image when working in image space?  Also, would mind sharing any details on the type of image you are working with?  Is the image a satellite image or an airborne image?  What image format are you working with?

Thank you,

Dan

0 Kudos
JamesUrbas
New Contributor

Thank you Dan, glad to hear I am not just doing it wrong.  I can't verify the image space coordinates unfortunately because I am not working with the image analyst extension.  The data is working okay in perspective view in ENVI though.  Maybe I can try to get an evaluation license for image analyst this week.  

The data is oblique imagery from an airborne source and is in ntf format.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DanZimble
New Contributor II

Hi James,

Thank you for providing that detail.  Yes, that is interesting.  Perhaps we can connect directly to discuss your needs specifically.  Let me know if you need any help obtaining an evaluation license for the image analyst extension.

Thanks again,

Dan

0 Kudos
JamesUrbas
New Contributor

Sorry for the delay.  I can confirm that the coordinates in the image space the x, y coordinates are correct.  this happens to some degree in all the imagery I have loaded that is not rectified, including RPC images.   RPC images are closer to the correct pixel coordinates but still not correct.

Any update on the bug?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
JamesUrbas
New Contributor

Correction: the RPC images are reporting correctly.  I was expecting the values to display at the edge but they begin at the pixel center.

0 Kudos