Intro to GIS Final Exam

04-23-2020 07:52 PM
ThomasJordan
New Contributor II

What are some of you favorite multiple choice, TRUE-FALSE, or short answer questions that you think every college student should be able to answer at the end of an intro course?

I've given my students a pretty challenging task for final projects, so I want to go easy on them for their final exam. My target is just to make sure they have a solid foundation in theory.

(I have both undergrad and graduate students)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ThomasJordan
New Contributor II

Here's my favorite question, because I bet many GIS professionals would struggle with it: "in a few sentences, explain the difference between a Datum and a GCS". How would those of you participating in this forum answer that question?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

T/F

Roger Tomlinson is generally recognized as the "father of GIS" and the Canada Geographic Information System, was the first computerised GIS in the world  (Ottawa, Canada).   

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Thomas!

I like Dan's question - I talked with Tomlinson many times over the years and miss him.  I show his Data for Decisions videos (now on YouTube in 3 parts) frequently to GIS students to foster some really excellent discussions (what is different about GIS now than in 1967?  What is the same or similar?). 

1.  I would say in answer to your challenging question above that a datum is a set of reference points associated with a model that describes the shape and size of the Earth.  It could be horizontal, vertical, or include elements of both.  A GCS is just a way of casting coordinates on the Earth that allows for the data to be drawn in a GIS, but it is not modeled upon the true Earth shape, and therefore should be used with care.

2.  I would say that some of my favorite T/F questions have focused on coordinates (35 deg 15' 27.4" is an example of Decimal Degree format:  T/F?), the core of GIS (the table that you can open in a GIS is an example of the "G" part of GIS:  T/F?), data in a GIS (a grid of land cover values in which every cell has a value containing a land cover type is an example of raster data in a GIS:  T/F?), or definitions (location privacy refers to whether your GIS layer is on your computer vs. in the cloud:  T/F?).  

3.  Below is Quiz #1 from my public domain GIS course, FYI. 

1. Define the term “public domain spatial data.”

This element is a more accessible alternative to drag & drop reordering. Press Enter or Space to move this question.

Question 20.4 pts

1. What is the difference between data and information?     

Question 30.4 pts

1. What is copyright, and what does it have to do with public domain spatial data?

This element is a more accessible alternative to drag & drop reordering. Press Enter or Space to move this question.

Question 40.4 pts

1. Name 3 means by which you could be examining spatial data within a GIS environment by this time tomorrow.

This element is a more accessible alternative to drag & drop reordering. Press Enter or Space to move testion.

Question 50.4 pts

1. Name 2 examples of X-Y public domain spatial data, and describe how these examples can be imported into ArcGIS Pro, Online, or ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap).  element is a more accessible alternative to drag & drop reordering. Press Enter or Space to move this question.

Question 60.4 pts

1. Describe 3 differences between DLG files and TIGER files.

is a more accessible alternative to drag & drop reordering. Press Enter or Space to move this question.

Question 70.4 pts

1. Name the site that you used to obtain the invasive species data in Lab 1, and list 1 advantage of the resource, and 1 limitation of the resource.  

is a more accessible alternative to drag & drop reordering. Press Enter or Space to move this question.

Question 80.4 pts

1. What did you have to do to the base vector (county lines, hydro, etc.) and the invasive species data before you could use it in ArcGIS Pro?

lement is a more accessible alternative to drag & drop reordering. Press Enter or Space to move this question.

Question 90.4 pts

1. How did you determine the number of zebra mussels by state?

element is a more accessible alternative to drag & drop reordering. Press Enter or Space to move this queston.

Question 100.4 pts

1. Name one way in which public domain spatial data is a part of everyday decision making.

--Joseph Kerski 

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

While spatial join and Intersect both combine attribute tables, a spatial join does not _____ features (split)

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Good one, Curtis!

0 Kudos