AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I use custom projections?

Question asked by bhemmer_usfs on Apr 22, 2020
Latest reply on Apr 30, 2020 by cwhitmore-esristaff

I want to start using projections other than Web Mercator in my projects. I was really excited with this month's update,  Map Viewer Beta Update April 2020. So I'm trying to follow along two articles written by John Nelson, Enhanced Projection Support in ArcGIS Online and Here Are Some Equal Area Projected Maps for ArcGIS Online (and how to make them), but I am still unable to use the projections.

I know it has to do with tile layer that I have but I still do not understand. But according to John's post in Equal Area Projected Maps it states,

Layer Compatibility

Some notes about compatibility. You can add vector and raster layers to these maps. Raster tiles will render in them, too, but they may appear, you know, squished. Vector tile layers will not work in these maps because their differing vector projections will get into a pretty honorable sword fight and the basemap’s projection will emerge victorious and oust the upstart vector tile layer.

So if I'm reading it right it should work.

If I have the tile layer already placed in my map and then try to add one of John's basemaps I get this,

But, if I start with John's basemap and try to add the tile layer I get this,

Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks!

Outcomes