Deep Learning Detecting Swimming Pools

04-17-2020 05:02 PM
Labels (2)
NathanJennings
New Contributor III

I have been working through my own version of detecting swimming pools.

I have use the same imagery (albeit, a subset) used by ESRI.

I think I have taken reasonable training sites.  I have tried to be meticulous with selecting training sites.  The ones I choose seem similar to those found in the ESRI examples.

I have used the same (and different parameters for training the model and detecting objects).  I have taken the defaults, added values shown in ESRI examples, and tried some of my own options for parameters such as:

image tile, stride size

grid, scaling, ratio

padding, threshold, etc

epochs

The "learning curve" has shown concave to "jagged" (which I believe means, overfitted).  Like I mentioned, I have tried this scenario numerous times with the different combinations of parameters for both training and detecting.

I am no where close to successfully detecting swimming pools.  I mostly get features other than pools.

I am attaching my PPKX with the training and detected objects (and the image), about 23 Mb.  I do have a model zip file, but it is approx. ~200 Mb, so it may be too large.  I am attaching the EMD file and the PNG that shows the loss curve.  This is one is jagged.  25 epochs.

The attachment has about 15 sample sites, but I have done this same process using a larger image and approx. 80 samples that I think are "good" samples of swimming pools...same kind of results.

If anyone can provide some suggestions or guidance, I would like to successfully attempt to find swimming pools....and then work with detecting other kinds of features.

I am using an XPS Dell business machine.  Pro 2.5.  I have the deep learning framework installed.  No GPU or NVIDIA card.  I can successfully run the full process, but the results are very bad.

I have viewed and use:  Deep Learning: Detect swimming pools  as a guide in addition to the ESRI help and other ArcGIS.learn notebooks and other information provided by ESRI.

Thank you for any insight or let me know if I should be contacting someone else at ESRI.  I would also like to know if there is a process to go through to logically attempt different parameter values that can improve both training and detecting results.

Nate

0 Kudos
0 Replies