split polygon by polylines

04-16-2020 03:07 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a polygon with an overlaid polyline of interstates, idealy using an existing tool in ArcGIS Advanced. I simply want to break up the polygon into pieces by the lines of the interstate. This seems very simple but it is not at all and I haven't found anyone who has gotten an answer similar to mine that didn't involve  python code. The help file for this is useless and the error message "see below" isn't helpful either. Why would my lines be continuous rings? The help file shows a wavy line bisecting a polygon, not a ring. Does this only work with a single line in the polyline shape? This polyline is not perfect, some of the sections are broken into multiple connected lines. I cannot find how to connect these into continuous lines instead of a continuous line made of multiple segments. The help on this tool is just non-existent. Can anybody help me perform this seemingly simple task?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This GeoNet place is for questions about GeoNet itself.  I am sharing your question with Analysis‌ since that it will get more visibility there.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Start editing your road feature, select all of the features with a lasso or via the attribute table, go to the editing toolbar, on the 'editor' dropdown click 'merge'. Save, Stop editing.

next pass both features into Feature To Polygon—Data Management toolbox | Documentation to create the split features. Be very aware of how this will work if a line is not covered by a polygon (see the 3rd example drawing in the tool help).

0 Kudos
MehdiPira1
Esri Contributor

Hi Cara Joos‌,

WhatDavid Pike‌'s mentioned above is right.

However, if you are after tools out of the toolbox, you can use Dissolve tool for the polyline provided that it has a field with the same value so that you could use it as a dissolve parameter/field to aggregate features. you can add a field with same values if it's not already there.

Once the polyline feature class is aggregated (continuous), use the Feature to Polygon tool.

=>   

=>   

Note that sometimes just using the Feature to Polygon tool will do the split without using the Dissolve tool, depending on your polyline feature class.

I hope that's helpful.

Cheers.