Offline map for Quick Capture

Jump to solution
04-13-2020 02:56 PM
NathanJohnson
New Contributor III

How do you get an offline map to display in Quick Capture?

I can successfully set the correct map and it displays with the proper data while my tablet is connected to wifi, but when I am offline the map doesn't load.

I did set the webmap to allow offline maps to be downloaded and created some offline maps, but I'm not sure how to get them to display in quick capture when I am offline.

See attached screenshot.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi.  To add to Mandy's response. While working with offline map areas within a web map is not yet supported, it is actually possible to configure your QuickCapture project with an offline map. As of release 1.4, QuickCapture supports offline maps in .tpk, vtpk and mmpk formats. Here are some tips:

1. First create your offline map.
    • You can create tpk files with ArcGIS Pro or the Tile Package Kreator. This format is OK for maps containing images, but the size grows big really, really quick.
    • mmpk and vtpk files can be created with ArcGIS Pro.  This format is best for vector data. I really like vtpk because it is very efficient in terms of size.  If you want to mix data from an Esri vector basemap with your own data, go with ArcGIS Pro. If you are fine with a Open StreetMap basemap in vector tile format, I really like this tool created by the Applications Prototype Lab: https://apl.esri.com/jg/OSMVectorTileExport/index.html 
  2. Next, upload your offline map file into your ArcGIS account and share it with as many groups as you plan to share your QuickCapture project.
  3. Finally go into QuickCapture designer and select your new offline map from the MyMaps category.

Your will need to update your QuickCapture project in the mobile device before your offline map is downloaded. The offline map will show when connected or disconnected.

Hope it helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Mandy_Li
Esri Contributor

Hi Nathan,

The current version (1.4) of QuickCapture does not yet support offline map areas in a web map, hence when your device if offline, you will see a fake map graphic with the 'device offline' message. To use QuickCapture project under offline, you can add an offline map, it can be a tile package, a vector tile package, or a mobile map package. The support for web map offline areas is on the roadmap, we will prioritize it to the product release soon. 

Thanks,

Mandy

0 Kudos
AbiDhakal
Occasional Contributor III

@Mandy_Li 

Good morning, Mandy! Hope you are well.

Are we now able to take Quick Capture offline with a basemap? If so, do you have the steps to achieve that?

Thank you,
Abi 

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi.  To add to Mandy's response. While working with offline map areas within a web map is not yet supported, it is actually possible to configure your QuickCapture project with an offline map. As of release 1.4, QuickCapture supports offline maps in .tpk, vtpk and mmpk formats. Here are some tips:

1. First create your offline map.
    • You can create tpk files with ArcGIS Pro or the Tile Package Kreator. This format is OK for maps containing images, but the size grows big really, really quick.
    • mmpk and vtpk files can be created with ArcGIS Pro.  This format is best for vector data. I really like vtpk because it is very efficient in terms of size.  If you want to mix data from an Esri vector basemap with your own data, go with ArcGIS Pro. If you are fine with a Open StreetMap basemap in vector tile format, I really like this tool created by the Applications Prototype Lab: https://apl.esri.com/jg/OSMVectorTileExport/index.html 
  2. Next, upload your offline map file into your ArcGIS account and share it with as many groups as you plan to share your QuickCapture project.
  3. Finally go into QuickCapture designer and select your new offline map from the MyMaps category.

Your will need to update your QuickCapture project in the mobile device before your offline map is downloaded. The offline map will show when connected or disconnected.

Hope it helps!

AbiDhakal
Occasional Contributor III

@IsmaelChivite 

Hey Ismael,

I have loaded a tpk file to my ArcGIS Enterprise Portal. However, I'm not being able to see the file in Quick Capture 'basemap change'. How can I replace the existing esri basemap with my own tpk that I have loaded to my ArcGIS Enterprise Portal?

Thank you,
Abi

0 Kudos
nelsmickaelson
New Contributor III

Hi Ismael. I came across this Tech support Article . Your steps dont mention editing the JSON for the QuickCapture project as this article does. Is this accomplishing something else? I want to use a VTPK for the project so it works when the device doesn't have connectivity. Please advise. Thank you.  

0 Kudos