Fossi

ArcMap Addin to identify point and read custom attribute from XY Data

Discussion created by Fossi on Mar 28, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 1, 2011 by Fossi
Hi,

using ArcMap I'am displaying points out of a database-table using a "Database Connection" and "Display XY Data...".

Besides the coordinates and other attributes the database table contains an id which I would like to pass to an application when the user clicks on a the corresponding point in the map.

The identify dialog lists this id in the field&value section. Is it possible to extend the identify dialog? I.e. can I place a custom button in this dialog to call a custom app passing a value from a specific field?

As an alternative would it be possible to create an tool-addin, which can read the id-field as soon the user clicks a point in the layer derived from the database connection?

I did the ArcObjects 10 Walkthrough "Building custom UI elements using add-ins" which went very smooth so far. But I'm stuck finding where to start about this. The SDK is just gigantic and a little confusing to newbies making the first steps. ;-)

Perhaps I am just missing the right keyword or there is a snippet I overlooked. So any hint would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Fossi

Outcomes