COVID-19 Project

04-06-2020 09:52 PM
Labels (1)
JebDickerson1
New Contributor II

hello,

i'm putting a project together for my 9th graders - it's a hybrid course we created called 'challenge' b/c it's base don the challenge based learning framework.

anyway, part of the goals is to intro them to GIS maps as a tool/vehicle for visualizing data.  i'm using a couple of geoinquiries for an intro (the black death and the slowing malaria) but as part of this project i also am going to have them create their own GIS map and, ultimately, a story map.

i'm just not totally sure what i want the GIS map to focus on. i mean, i definitely want it to be COVID 19 related, but, like a geoinquiry, i'd want them to do more than just add a layer (i've explored many great available layers and am very grateful for them). that's a place to start, for sure, but i'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on where to take it from there. again, keeping in mind it's remote learning with freshmen.

the project details can be found HERE if anyone is curious/interested.

thanks for any feedback.

cheers...jeb

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Excellent Jeb! See this doc about instructional use of GIS. Think about giving the option for them to be at Level 5 ("Get outa my way, I'm working on my chosen topic!") but also letting students do a Level 4 project where you provide at least the topical guidance and maybe some starting items to focus on. A big challenge for people is aiming too high too quickly, which needs the highest level of self-direction and capacity. It is just as hard to do a great Level 4 as Level 5; the difference is in who provides the question and makes sure it is appropriate. See also this blog about Presentations. One big challenge with a StoryMap is that, technically, a user can include any resource on the internet, where a Presentation says "You can only engage what is in the map." Sometimes, too many options is a problem. Think about the time they will have available and the skills they can engage, and set the project to match that.

- Charlie

0 Kudos
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

P.S. See the Mapping Hour videos if you're stuck on "how to."

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In addition to Charlie's response, you may have a lot of COVID-19 data and resources here.  Authoritative data and other mapping resources may be found here.  Good luck!

0 Kudos