Is it possible to take offline a hosted ArcGIS Online Web Map poiting to a personal WMTS layer (used as basemap) ?

Jump to solution
04-06-2020 02:50 AM
MatthewInman
New Contributor

We are currently integrating the ArcGIS runtime SDK to our Android application and would like our users to take maps offline (on demand).

We have our own raster data that we host on a geoserver instance. The "Map" section in ArcGIS Online allows to "Add Layer From Web" and which to choose from the "WMTS OGC Web Service".

There is also an option to decide whether or not to "Use as Basemap". Since our data is more often that not raster, I feel that this option should be checked (at least for raster data types).

After following the steps above, the My Content / Item / Settings page does not show any offline options.

When running tests in the Android application for taking the map offline,  examining the OfflineCapability of each Layer and FeatureTable, the OfflineCapability.Error.message says "Unsupported layer type".

Is this approach to taking WTMS layers offline simply wrong or does the ArcGIS not allow this type of process ?

Thanks in advance for your reply

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

I confirmed with the offline team what WMTS does not support offline use.  The WMTS standard is not designed for these workflows.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Only if the owner of the WMTS has set permissions to allow it.

0 Kudos
MatthewInman
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Would you by any chance have any links to provide on how this can be done ?

I've been searching online for this with no success.

Many thanks either way

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

As far as I know WMTS does not support being packaged up for offline use.

If you can publish the layer to a GeoPackage you can add that to your map in code. Note that working with a GeoPackage would require a Standard Runtime SDK license.

0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

I confirmed with the offline team what WMTS does not support offline use.  The WMTS standard is not designed for these workflows.

0 Kudos
MatthewInman
New Contributor

Thanks for the response. 

We will work on an alternative.

0 Kudos