Disconnected Editing in a Disconnected Portal

04-03-2020 03:44 PM
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

using Collector, If a user collects some data offline on his phone, and then collects some data on his tablet offline, and then returns to the office, how does collector/portal manage the simultaneous edits from different sources from the same user with a hosted feature layer? for that matter, if there are multiple users, and it is a hosted feature layer, how does collector/portal manage those edits? Is this even possible, or do I have to have a referenced versioned layer, and it can't handle edits from the same user from different devices disconnected? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

I found out the answer through trial and error. Where it is technically possible, the servers really don't like it. only one device can be connected to the wifi at a time. it really is a pain. I would recommend against letting users collect on more than one device at a time. 

0 Kudos
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hello Faith Webster

Whether you are using ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS each user should have their own account to sign into Collector. Each user will then download an offline web map on their individual devices. It is possible for multiple users to sync to the same hosted feature service. 

If for example two users edit the same attribute in the same record in a hosted feature service. The user who sync last would overwrite the previous user edits. This would mainly be an issue if two users were editing the same record.

If you are using portal and publishing a referenced feature service you have the capability of using versioning. Versioning can allow users to edit their own version of the data. When going through the reconcile and post process if there are conflicting edits you can then determine which edits to keep.

Traditional Versioning:

Esri Support ArcGIS Server 10.8.1 

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Thomas.

FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply Thomas. The question was really more about 1 user collecting data on multiple devices. I have a user who has sub contractors as the specific use case. I ended up creating users for the devices because the servers really are not designed for 1 user to have more than 1 device. 

0 Kudos