Easier way to get out of floating image

Jump to solution
03-27-2020 05:33 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there an easier way to get out of a floating image? Meaning to add a content block after the image and text. Here is what I have,

In order for me to get out of this I have to press the return key 5 times to be able to continue outside of this image block. I have attached a video to show what exactly I mean.

Also in the video you will notice that after I added an image below the float I changed my mind and wanted to put text instead. After I deleted the image I was back in the floating image block and had to press return again to get out.

My solution to this would be to have the ability to to add a content block immediately after the floating image.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Bryan -- When you configure a piece of media to FLOAT, you're in a sort of invisible section of text that flows next to the floating media. This is done because the amount of text that will appear next to the media will be different depending on the screen size and we want the layout to look good on any sized screen. So the story layout needs to be flexible with regard to the text you add to the story at that point. If you add two blank lines it might look good on your screen, but it might create a big awkward space on a tablet and/or phone.

To break out of the "float group,", you can just add a separator (or a button or another piece of media). That tells the story to always put the next line of text after the media.

We're looking for some better ways to do this in the future.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

1 Reply
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Bryan -- When you configure a piece of media to FLOAT, you're in a sort of invisible section of text that flows next to the floating media. This is done because the amount of text that will appear next to the media will be different depending on the screen size and we want the layout to look good on any sized screen. So the story layout needs to be flexible with regard to the text you add to the story at that point. If you add two blank lines it might look good on your screen, but it might create a big awkward space on a tablet and/or phone.

To break out of the "float group,", you can just add a separator (or a button or another piece of media). That tells the story to always put the next line of text after the media.

We're looking for some better ways to do this in the future.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps