import csv file to arcmap 10.7

03-24-2020 12:01 PM
JohnReynolds1
New Contributor III

I am trying to import a CSV file to ArcMap 10.7.  I tried joining the existing county boundaries file to the new CSV file that has data in most of the counties. The existing county boundary file must have a field that contains all 87 MN counties because it draws and labels them all.  BUT....... the county boundary only has the fields across the top in a single row but there is nothing below that row; not even empty cells.

The field name for counties in the CSV file is "County".  I don't see any field that could be county in the existing boundary table.

Is there some kind of hidden fields or something?  Do I need to completely match the county field names in order to join the two files?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnReynolds1
New Contributor III

I'd like to add a correction.  In the county boundary attribute table counties are listed under the field "Name".

I'm going to change the Name to County and see if that works.

0 Kudos
JohnReynolds1
New Contributor III

Changing Name to County helped but now the Counties layer still has only 87 lines.  There are 87 counties in MN but there are 252 lines of data that should have been joined.

Also, there are a bunch of <NULL>'s scattered throughout the attribute table where none should exist.

Should I have posted these questions in another forum?

Thanks!

0 Kudos