Temporary Services Support for GIS Workers

03-20-2020 12:15 PM
BrandonCrawford1
New Contributor II

Hello,

I work two GIS-heavy jobs - one for the Portland Bureau of Transportation, and the other for an environmental consultant in the Portland area. Given the recent events w/ COVID-19, I (along with many others) have been asked to work from home. However, neither job has been able provide GIS capabilities or permissions to do the work remotely. As a result, my workload is very light and there's a chance I may not be able to continue with one of the positions. 

Is ESRI offering any temporary support by offering complementary or free services for users who are in need of access to the software for work (or other reasons, such as school), but cannot for whatever reason? I tried to download a free trial of ArcPro, which would ideally allow me to continue some of my projects for a few weeks, however I wasn't able to due to having a public account and not an enterprise login with the appropriate permissions. 

Does anyone know of any other work-arounds?

Thanks,

Brandon

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Brandon.

I can't think of any possible workaround.

perhaps you could use the spare time to do an esri MOOC?

https://www.esri.com/training/mooc/ 

although you will have to download Pro and will be provided with a license for the course duration.

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Well, there is the ArGIS for Personal Use program, that gives you a whole smack of software of ESRI, including ArcGIS for Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, the SDKs, most extensions etc, for a very affordable per year price (here in the Netherlands 100 euro / year):

ArcGIS for Personal Use Program | ArcGIS Desktop Advanced for Personal Use 

Only caveat is that it may not be used for commercial work, only non-profit.

I guess your situation may be a bit of a grey area, depending on how you have been contracted. If you are on the payroll of these organizations, them having the licenses to cover your day-to-day job, and not hired as external consultant, I guess there is not a whole lot wrong with using the Personal Use license because it would in fact be just another additional sale for ESRI (albeit a small one compared to a full commercial seat), but you'd have to contact an ESRI representative to be sure.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

try this link for temporary disaster relief licesning:

Here is the link for our disaster relief assistance. This is a free of charge donation of licensing during this time.

https://www.esri.com/en-us/disaster-response/request-assistance