Convert latitude and longitude into angle

03-19-2020 05:25 PM
EricHolder
New Contributor

I have a set of coordinates that i want to convert into a single number representing that location (possibly angle). How do i do that? I want to do circular ANOVA analysis as for those single units as dependent variable. For example i want to convert longitude -100.80, latitude 38.00 to single unit 45. How do i do that? Following is the my set of example coordinates;

Longitude          Latitude-104.952           39.71478-104.952           39.7149-104.54            39.7148-104.955           39.70441-104.966           39.7175

I want 5 individual numbers (possible angle or any other) that represents the coordinates. what is the best practice, and how do i do it?

Thanks in Advance
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

perhaps...

Convert Coordinate Notation—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

from there...

GARS, GEOREF, UTM_ZONES, UTM_BANDS, USNG, and MGRS are single-string coordinate formats, meaning only one field contains the coordinate.

0 Kudos
EricHolder
New Contributor

Thank you, sir, for the link. I know how to change one coordinate system to another, but from the documents you sent, I did not understand how to merge latitude and longitude to a single unit or angle. Is there any tutorials that have hands-on experience to do it. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you use the tool in the link after you have chosen the format you want.  You might want to read up on GEOREF perhaps.

You can skip angle since long/lat are already angular measures from 2 reference planes and also require a radius.  Some of the other systems have already incorporated these considerations.

0 Kudos