Only some records from a shapefile will upload to ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
03-19-2020 07:03 AM
CoreyWills
New Contributor

I'm trying to upload a shapefile with 552 records to ArcGIS Online, but for some reason only 10 records will upload. I've tried it multiple times and it's the same (seemingly random) records each time. Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do about it? I'm very new to this, so I'm hoping I'm just missing something that can be easily fixed.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Corey Wills‌,

If you have a look at this page about ArcGIS Online styles you will find that you can have up to 200 unique values but it reuses the same 10 colours: Style categories—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

If you swap to displaying by location only and set a common symbol you should be able to see all of them.

Thanks,

Ben

View solution in original post

13 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Corey,

How are you adding this data to ArcGIS Online?  Are you getting this issue with every shapefile or is the problem with just this one in particular?  

This article might be helpful depending on your specific situation  - Problem: Receiving errors when uploading a shapefile to ArcGIS Online, Business Analyst Online, or C... 

0 Kudos
CoreyWills
New Contributor

Hi Will,

Thanks for your response! I'm only getting this issue with this shapefile. The poster below pointed out that all records uploaded, but just aren't showing. Do you know how to make all of the records show?

While we're on the subject (this is a bit of a tangent but still relates to uploads), do you by any chance know how to get around the 1,000 record upload limit? I'm trying to upload a shapefile which has 1,000+ records with no luck.

Best,

Corey

0 Kudos
BenTurrell

Corey Wills‌,

You should be able to upload more than 1000+ features. Have you tried using the Add Item button in ArcGIS Online?

If you click on Add Item while in the contents tab, then the From Your Computer Button. You will be prompted for a zip file or csv and you can upload that way.

Thanks,

Ben

CoreyWills
New Contributor

Hi Ben,

Thanks, and sorry for the late response! I was able to upload the shapefile I needed and can see that it is in the My Contents section, but I can neither preview it nor add it to my AGOL map. Is this an issue you've run into and if so, do you know what might be happening here?

Best,

Corey

0 Kudos
BenTurrell

Hey Corey Wills‌,

How did you upload the shapefile? Did you add it to a map or did you do the upload through My Contents -> Add Item?

If you can send a screen shot of the my contents and the shapefiles item page it would help out!

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
CoreyWills
New Contributor

Hi Ben,

I used Content -> Add Item -> From Computer -> Choose File. I've tried it with both a shapefile and a layer package and they will upload, but I can't access the files or even view them when trying to add them to a map:

Any idea what might be happening? As always, thanks for your help!

Best,

Corey

0 Kudos
BenTurrell

Hey Corey Wills‌,

Next to the title in your contents pane it shows what type of items they are. You are looking for Hosted Feature Layers or Feature Layer and you will be able to add it to your map. When you upload a shapefile you should see a tick box that says publish this file as a hosted layer. If you tick that and then try and add it to the map you should be good to go!

Thanks,

Ben

CoreyWills
New Contributor

Hi Ben,

Thanks so much! That button did not appear for me at first - I had to contact my school's ArcGIS administrator and be added to their organization in order to publish a file as a hosted layer. But after that, it worked perfectly!

Thanks again,

Corey

0 Kudos
BenTurrell

Hey Corey Wills‌,

Looking at your map it looks like there are more than 10 records. The legend tool will only show 10 features but we can check if more data has been upload.

To see what data has been uploaded we can use the Attribute table. To see the attribute table

• click on the content tab
  • then mouse over your layer and select the show table button

You will see a table popup that will show all the features you have.

Happy to discuss further if you need more help.

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer was helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.