Arcgis Pro 2.5 - Import table Issue

02-26-2020 03:52 PM
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

I just opened a pro project that was created pre 2.5 upgrade. I can see my data as expected. 

When I try to re add that table to that project or any other made after the upgrade we get an error. 

FAQ: What characters should not be used in ArcGIS for field names and table names? 

After looking into it, I believe that the error is because pro is adding quotes to field names. Only on the layers that have a _ before hand.  This did not happen in a pre Pro 2.5 project and does not happen in desktop products. I downgraded to 2.4 and the table added without the quotes. 

We do not have access to the database and cannot change the field names. 

Any suggestions on a work around? 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

What is the source of the table and how are you connecting to it?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Joe Borgione

A table from a SQL server. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And maybe it is the new normal...

although the applicable software list is ancient

Software: ArcGIS-ArcEditor 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 10 ArcGIS-ArcInfo 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 10 ArcGIS-ArcView 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 10

From your link

Do not start field or table names with an underscore or a number.

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Dan Patterson

I am not sure why it was created that way but I cannot change the field names on the database at this point. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

There is a new sql odbc driver that took care of excel and sql problems for me once I installed it:

https://community.esri.com/thread/245676-new-error-with-excel-to-table?commentID=898660#comment-8986... 

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Joe Borgione

I installed the new driver and it did not work. 

Unfortunately we are not running SQLite. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'm  not using sql lite either. 

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Just because it worked in previous versions, doesn't mean its supported. Try running Validating table and field names in Python—ArcPy Get Started | Documentation 

Also see

FAQ: What characters should not be used in ArcGIS for field names and table names? 

Fundamentals of adding and deleting fields—Help | Documentation 

Naming Stuff In ArcGIS - USGS OEI/Enterprise GIS - myUSGS Confluence 

When I try to create an attribute in 2.5 starting with "_toast", not only does it create "_toast", "f_toast" gets created as well, which is odd. Perhaps this is one of the several new bugs that were introduced with 2.5. 

I recommend opening a case with tech support. I think you're out of luck on the quotes thing, but I'm curious as to their response both on existing fields created pre-2.5 that start with "_", as well as what's going on when you create a field in 2.5 starting with "_" and why a second one gets created with "f_".

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

And...when you initially submit your case, please include EXACT steps to reproduce

• What version of SQL server? 
  • What OS is the SQL server on? 
  • What type of authentication is SQL server using? 
    • How are clients authenticating? 
    • How is SQL authentication with the OS? Local System Account? Domain Account? If a domain account, is Kerberos enabled? 
  • How was the feature class initially created? If with ESRI software, what version? If not ESRI software, exactly how did this table get into SQL?
  • Is the feature class using Geography or Geometry storage? 
  • What is the projection of the feature class?
  • Is archiving or versioning enabled?
    • If versioning, what type? Same error after compressing all edits to default?
    • If archiving, same error when disabling?
  • Is editor tracking enabled?
  • What Operating system is Pro 2.5 installed on? 
  • When was the last time you updated all of your hardware drivers? 
  • Are you meeting ArcGIS Pro 2.5 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation  and what is the result of http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/Client/Standard/?apikey=50F41142-39B0-4061-97C2-BA7B7FE43D0E&re...
  • Is the feature class published as a feature service? 
0 Kudos