UX design of the slideshow.

02-26-2020 12:42 PM
RossFindlay
New Contributor III

I am incredibly frustrated by the design of the slideshow widget. I have used it in an public engagement story for our ward boundary review. The public feedback in not good. The first comment is that the themes do not have enough contrast. The slideshow collapse button doesn’t seem to be catching the users eye and so I have had to spell it out for them to see the image behind. Secondly the JS 4.X api docked pop ups is great but, on a desk top they are docked bottom left which interferes with the go back action when I try to zoom to with the pop up. I would like to have more control of this when setting up my story. 
Lastly, it doesn’t seem to like being embedded. The scrolling If run over text on a mobile device is not really working as I would expect when embedded so I needed to delete the huge text for the title and tag line, now it is just white space. I would like to be able to set the font size, let’s say a max/min of 4 pix either way.

I want to move to the new API, I am ready to change but this is not the experience I want in my story maps. Update story map series tabs, please. 

you can see our work here
engage.calgary.ca/wardboundaries

thanks for listening. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ross - Thanks for your feedback about the new ArcGIS StoryMaps.

I'm sorry you have had a poor experience. We understand some of these issues you have encountered are frustrating. Please note, however, that slideshow is still in beta and we are working on refining the experience so that it can be used in more situations.

A significant update to slideshow is planned that will address several of your concerns, such as the small-screen layout. This will likely be released in Q2 in Q1 of 2021, so please be sure to check back for updates.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos