No editable layers

02-21-2020 10:50 AM
Labels (3)
JasonBruhn
New Contributor II

I am extremely new to ArcGIS Pro and i have started my training plans and they are going well , but i decided to put what i have learned so far  to the test and each time i open a new map in ArcGIS pro 2.5 i get errors saying "No editable layers" . i have a personal use license and i can not find a step by step guide to resolve problem and its growing increasing frustrating. I wish start a career in ArcGIS and i dont seem to have these problem with ArcGIS online , should i just be using that or is there a solution to my problem. i would prefer to use ArcGIS  pro. Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,When 

you say you open a map, is this an existing map created by others or it is just an empty map?

If it has already been created and has layers in it, where these layers come from (shp, geodatabase.....)

0 Kudos
Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jason, can you share a screenshot of your ArcGIS Pro window? Have you added content from ArcGIS Living Atlas to the map? If so, some of that content is not editable.

0 Kudos
JasonBruhn
New Contributor II

Ok so when i open ArcGIS Pro i click the map button for a new project. This is my screen with all drop downs open , It could very well be im doing something wrong or missed something but i can not seem to add anything to the new map . Here is the screen shot 

0 Kudos
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jason, 

There is nothing to edit here.

You cannot edit the basemap.

Start some basic tutorial.

Introducing ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

ArcGIS Pro quick-start tutorials—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

JasonBruhn
New Contributor II

Thank you very much i didnt see those tutorials , i have been using the training on the ESRI site but alot of them have downloadable data. But thank you ill get on those straight away 

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Jason,

Your map has no problems in it. You are just looking at a non-default view, which is causing the confusion.

In the Contents pane to the left of the map, there are some icons at the top that control how your data is listed. You are currently looking at the Editing view of the Contents pane (pencil icon). Click the first icon to look at Drawing Order view and you will no longer see the errors.

You would normally look at Editing view when you want to make changes to your data and need to find out which layers you are allowed to edit. The only two layers in your map so far are both basemap layers, and it is normal that these cannot be edited. Once you add other kinds of layers (for example, a roads shapefile) those will appear in the Editing view without warnings. 

You can read more about the different views in the Contents pane here: Contents pane—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

I work in the Drawing Order view most of the time, and only look at the others for specific workflows. For a beginner, I recommend staying in this view for now.

JasonBruhn
New Contributor II

Thank you very much thats great info !

0 Kudos