Use ESRI World Streetmap as Basemap in State Plane Coordinates?

02-21-2020 09:13 AM
RobertStevens
Occasional Contributor III

I have numerous datasets using State Plane coordinates (North Oregon actually). I want to use the ESRI World Street Map,a tiling, as a basemap. It was created using World Mercator Auxiliary Sphere as cs. Am I correct in thinking that it will not work, unless the map frame itself also uses World Mercator Auxiliary Sphere? I don't believe tilings can be reprojected, and I don't believe that World Street Map is available in any projected coordinate system other than Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere.True?

In the past I used basemaps from Business Analyst. These were normal layers, available at several different scales, but which also admitted scaling to any arbitrary magnification, and could also be reprojected. I would prefer to keep using them. But if you try and import those feature classes into ArcPro (the future) you will crash and burn. Despite all the hoopla about ArcPro, it is just more of the same from ESRI: ever more sluggish, ever more bloated.

(I know I can reproject all my existing datasets, or have them project on-the-fly. That is not what I am asking. I don't wish to be obliged to keep reprojecting, nor do I especially wish to use Web Mercator: there is a reason why local authorities use State Plane coordinates in their maps).

0 Kudos
0 Replies