How to use Select by Attribute to automatically extract each unique value from a field into its own shapefile?

02-21-2020 05:37 AM
PaulFrissora1
New Contributor

Disclaimer: I know the first thing that might come to mind is Split By FeatureUnfortunately this script doesn't work well in the Model Maker. Split by Feature is a great script though, and works very well outside of the Model Maker. 

As the title says I'm looking for a way to use Select by Attribute, or a similar tool, to automatically:

1. Find how many unique values an attribute field has;

2. And then extract each of those values into a unique Shapefile for each value. 

The reason why Split by Feature isn't appropriate for my purposes is because it forces you to output into a Workspace. Connecting this to batch processes in the Modeler is tricky without Iterators. 

So is there a similar tool to this that doesn't force you into a Workspace?

Alternatively, is there a way to Modify an existing tool to execute this process? 

After some scouring on the web I found this, which while I haven't tested it yet it seems like it could be what I'm looking for:

Split By Attribute Tool - Desktop Decision Support Tools 

EDIT: While the tool in the above link would do what I'm looking for, I can't get it into the Model Maker. The file directory only shows the .ESRIAddin file, and installing it into ArcMap puts it as a toolbar, I can't find it in a toolbox. 

EDIT 2: I solved this, let me know if you need the tool. 

0 Kudos
0 Replies