Error 000819: The tool is not available or is unassigned with update to Pro 2.5

Jump to solution
02-17-2020 07:15 AM
MollyMoore
Occasional Contributor

I have a custom Python Toolbox that has been running fine. Since the update to Pro, when I run the script, the program immediately crashes and if I can open the dialog box in time, it contains the following error:

Error 000819: The tool is not available or is unassigned

All of my third party packages are in the python environment that is active in Pro and I have background processing turned off int he script.

I'm not sure what else to try. What would have changed in the update to make this suddenly start to happen?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MollyMoore
Occasional Contributor

Okay, after much trial and error, it seems that a period was the culprit. A period used to designate version number of the tool in the alias and label were breaking the tool after the update to Pro 2.5.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What tools are you using?

Did you try the suggestion of importing the toolbox?

000819: The tool is not assigned.—Help | Documentation 

MollyMoore
Occasional Contributor

I'm trying to run the custom python toolbox from within Pro. I'm struggling to understand why I need to import the toolbox into the toolbox itself - and thus struggling with how I should try to write this in within the script.

I did create a new toolbox in Pro and copy and pasted my custom toolbox into it and that worked. However, I'd like for the tool to be able to run from a static file location without having to copy/paste into a new toolbox because others will be using it within our organization and it's easier to push out edits like this.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you try to remove the original toolbox and re-add it?  The location may have changed and references to the toolbox's tools will become broken.

Also are you storing the toolbox in a folder or in a gdb?

0 Kudos
MollyMoore
Occasional Contributor

Okay, after much trial and error, it seems that a period was the culprit. A period used to designate version number of the tool in the alias and label were breaking the tool after the update to Pro 2.5.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Sorry that you ran into this, Molly Moore‌.  It looks like this was reported to Technical Support as BUG-000128546: ArcGIS Pro crashes if a tool is run in a Python tool.. The development team will look at getting this fixed as soon as possible and, if feasible, I'm sure will try to get in a patch for 2.5.  If interested in following status updates, you can go to that link and click the Subscribe button.

Thank you.

0 Kudos