ArcGIS for AutoCAD rotate sync

02-10-2020 07:59 AM
GeorgiaRoberts1
New Contributor III

I am using ArcGIS for AutoCAD to edit feature services in AutoCAD / synchronise changes back to Enterprise. I am able to update the attribute table information, and the positions of my point features. However when I try to rotate features in AutoCAD and synchronise back to Enterprise, it won't work. The rotated feature also moves back to its original position in AutoCAD. I can edit the angle of rotation in the attribute table, however this is clunky. I would much prefer to just rotate the symbol in AutoCAD using the rotate tool e.g. 

Any ideas? Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Randy_Garcia
Esri Contributor

Hi Georgia,

Unfortunately this not currently a supported option in ArcGIS for AutoCAD. But this is a great idea, I am going to add a feature request for the team and we will look into supporting this in a future release.

0 Kudos
GeorgiaRoberts1
New Contributor III

Thanks Randy,

Perhaps there is some way to link the rotation of the block with a value in the attribute field of the ArcGIS feature layer? If this is possible can you please explain?

Thanks

Georgia

0 Kudos
Randy_Garcia
Esri Contributor

Georgia,

There is currently no way to make this happen, unfortunately. We are looking to add this functionality by linking the rotation field of a block to a field in the GIS attribute table, much in that way you are suggesting. This feature might make its way into the 400 version of ArcGIS for AutoCAD but I cannot say for certain.

0 Kudos
GeorgiaRoberts1
New Contributor III

Hi Randy,

Thanks. I have been researching this and I'm not sure if you have come across this YouTube video: Block Bonus Tools: ArcGIS for AutoCAD - YouTube  which explains how this can be done at time 2:44. However this is for the older version of AutoCAD; I have tried downloading the AutoCAD customisation file and although it is visible in ArcGIS for AutoCAD 400, I am getting errors when trying to use the tools. Do you know if there is a similar release for ArcGIS for AutoCAD 400? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Randy_Garcia
Esri Contributor

Those bonus tools are currently only available for the 370 version. They are not an officially supported apart of the ArcGIS for AutoCAD system. With the being said, the team does realize the importance of these tools and will try to incorporate them into future releases if possible. Those bonus tools are written in Autolisp using the ArcGIS for AutoCAD API and can be used as a guide to how to write your own tools for the 400 version. Are there any specific things in the bonus tools you would like to see us prioritize?

On a similar note, we had the team implement the ability to tie block rotation to a field in ArcGIS for AutoCAD to support the workflow you originally asked about. Barring any major problems when we test it, this should make its way into the 400 release.

Thanks!

0 Kudos