Is the cut tool (functionality) from ArcMap in ArcPro?

Jump to solution
02-06-2020 11:49 PM
KurtAdams
New Contributor II

I have large polygon features, that i want to cut smaller, internal polygon features into. The Cut tool from ArcMap did this perfectly, porting the existing attributes into the new polygon.

Pro does not appear to have this functionality.

1. Split only divides the polygon from one edge to another.

2. Reshape needs to start from the edge of the polygon.

3. Creating new features and then clipping the larger polygon has more steps.

Is there a Cut tool?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kurt,

Are your polygons z-enabled? The Split tool should be able to cut into non-z enabled polygons. Ideally, the Split tool could do this with z-enabled polygons too, and this is something we are working on. Until Split works to cut into a z-enable polygon, you can use a temporary polygon layer to create a temporary feature for use in the Clip tool to cut into another polygon, like you already mentioned.

Incidentally, a hole can be created in z-enabled (and non-z) polygons using the Continue Feature tool.

Thanks,

Scott

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

https://community.esri.com/ideas/16837  seems to be a request

KurtAdams
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan, i searched but was unable to find a similar post. Mostly I'm relieved that I'm not the only person to have this issue!

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kurt,

Are your polygons z-enabled? The Split tool should be able to cut into non-z enabled polygons. Ideally, the Split tool could do this with z-enabled polygons too, and this is something we are working on. Until Split works to cut into a z-enable polygon, you can use a temporary polygon layer to create a temporary feature for use in the Clip tool to cut into another polygon, like you already mentioned.

Incidentally, a hole can be created in z-enabled (and non-z) polygons using the Continue Feature tool.

Thanks,

Scott

KurtAdams
New Contributor II

Yes this worked!
The polygons were Z enabled by default. Although the dataset has no use for Z values, this is the default option set when creating a new feature class.

0 Kudos