Clustering into equal groups

02-05-2020 01:17 PM
JeffreyDuBois1
New Contributor

Hello,

This is my first time asking a question to this community so I apologize if my formatting is off. I am trying to cluster approximately 45,500 locations into 6 equal groups based on area, so roughly 7,583 per group.

I've been Using Spatially Constrained Multivariate Clustering but under "Cluster Size Constraints" I run into an issue. If I attempt to use "Number of Features" and set "Minimum=7000 and Maximum=8000" you would think this would be fine as it can create 6 clusters within those constraints but It fails and says "Unable to solve the tool based on the Minimum/Maximum Constraints". If I just tell it to create 6 groups the groups become wildly different in size (Max 14,000 Min 3,000).

In the sample photo I provided, this is almost exactly what I want but I have so many features in the Blue region that it actually has twice the count of the Purple region, so even though these groups look equal, they aren't even close.

Am I doing something wrong with Spatially Constrained Multivariate Clustering, or is there a better tool for me to use?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

You should try the Build Balanced Zones GP tool under the Spatial Stats toolbox.

Do see Build Balanced Zones—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation  and How Build Balanced Zones works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation.

0 Kudos