spatial join

02-03-2020 01:28 AM
RobertJohansson
Occasional Contributor

I have created a view that makes a spatial join between a point and a polygon featureclass, the result is a polygon view, so far so good, all looks correct.

but if I do a select by location in arcmap with that view  I get very strange results, in a selection that should return about 300 matches i get 13... always!! until i add a buffert search around 7000m then i get the right selection... 

if i do same spatial join view but i keep the point geometry instead then select by location works... what could be wrong? or does arcgis not support this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What is the coordinate system? and are they both the same?

Select By Location: graphic examples—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop provides graphic examples that may explain some of the behaviour, however, the distance buffer size suggests that something is up with the spatial reference and specific options being used during the selection process

0 Kudos
RobertJohansson
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan!

coordinatesystem is 3017 and its the same for both featureclasses, I agree with u it seems something would be up with the spatial reference but I cant figure it out, or if its some sort of limitation of the arcgis environment...

the sql below is my view.

SELECT
b.OBJECTID,

a.somefield
b.Shape
FROM
GIS_DB1.DBO.FK_P a, GIS_DB2.DBO.FK_Y b
WHERE
a.Shape.STIntersects(b.Shape)=1

0 Kudos