Calculate distance from one set of points to another set of points

02-02-2020 12:46 PM
TimothyEdmonds
New Contributor

My software is ArcGIS Desktop 10.4.1. Network Analyst.

I wish to calculate distance from one set of points to another set of points on a road network. Lets call the first set of points Stations and the other set of points Destinations. I want to calculate the distance from each station to each destination.

I have run through the ArcGIS Network Analyst Tutorial data, but I am still not sure how to do this. I would have expected that this would be a very common type of analysis. If anybody knows of a step by step tutorial for this, could you please supply a web link.

Many thanks, Tim

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Do you have a Network Dataset? Searching for 'Route Analysis' should yield enough info.

0 Kudos
TimothyEdmonds
New Contributor

Thanks David, I'll check out route analysis. I have two groups of points (A & B), and want a distance from every point in group 1 to every point in group 2, and then distance recorded in a distance fields on each record in Group A (Distance to Point B1, Distance to Point B2, Distance to Point B3 ... ).

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Ah ok, I think you run an OD cost matrix, that will do it for every point to every other point, but just get rid of the unwanted records in the table afterwards.

0 Kudos
TimothyEdmonds
New Contributor

I found the function I wanted. New Closest Facility did exactly what I wanted. Problem solved.

0 Kudos