Can I create my own data set? Specifically, the high school location and population for every high school in CA (that competes in CIF sports)

02-01-2020 07:25 PM
ErikHansen
New Contributor

The governing body for high school sports in Southern CA - CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) - is a behemoth of a section, serving, I think, the largest group of high schools in the US.  Organizing high schools into leagues and divisions in all their various sports is a complex task that I think could seriously benefit from GIS to inform its decisions.  But I don't think that data exists in GIS.  So my question is...can I create it?  If so, how?  If not, who can?  How would I go about this? I can't emphasize enough how beneficial GIS could be in this particular field of athletic administration.  But I have no idea where to get started.  Please help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Perhaps storing this data in arcgis online would be the easiest and best solution. A list of CIF schools and their locations would be all that's needed, then attribution could be added such as number of pupils, which teams each school has etc. 

Sounds like a great idea, good luck with it.

0 Kudos