Photometric Analysis

01-31-2020 08:40 AM
SheylaDe_Santana
New Contributor

I am working on a streetlight project and the mass change-out to LED. In order to decide what type of light we may go with, I want to generate a photometric model of each options we gave and check the impact in the houses and roads. The idea is that this model can show, based on the lights' location, the layout of the light spread onto the street, sidewalk and road. Something like the image attached.

Anyone knows a way to do this in Pro, City Engine, Urban or any other tool?

Thank you,

Sheyla

0 Kudos
9 Replies
SheylaDe_Santana
New Contributor

Ok! I got the IES file from the vendor site, converted to DWG, opened in Pro and put on scale. To identify which area would be affected, I processed the LIDAR data to extract vegetation, streetlight poles and buildings. 

The combination of those gave the right output. I wish there was a tool that can automate some of these functions.

0 Kudos
VillageOf_Lake_Placid
New Contributor III

I am working on something similar at the moment for the utility I work for. What program did you use to convert the IES into a DWG?

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I would go with M26.1 or M26.5 or M26.6 LED lights.

0 Kudos
SheylaDe_Santana
New Contributor

What is exactly M26.1 / M26.5 or M26.6, Robert? 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

M26 is a street light assembly for LED streetlights.  USDA Rural Development RUS Specs

Simply a 4000k downward facing streetlight.

Familiarize yourself with the term as well. Simply put a light that only points light downward.

0 Kudos
SheylaDe_Santana
New Contributor

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Several of our member cooperatives are using them as well as a big G&T in our area and they work pretty well.  One of the cooperative is seeing their load go down significantly for street lights.

If you like I will see if I can get a specific brand and model to look at

0 Kudos
SheylaDe_Santana
New Contributor

Sure. That would be nice. We are currently using GE Evolve ERL1, but any would work. I would like to see how to incorporate it into my 3D scene and make the analysis of light impact in my specific pilot area.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
  • Cooper Caretaker for security lights
  • Cooper Lexington for Decorative Lights
  • AEL Autobahn ATBM for roadway lights
0 Kudos