Best IDE's for ArcGIS

01-30-2020 07:29 AM
shildebrand
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone have any recommendations for best python IDE's that are compatible with ArcGIS?  I'm looking for something that has line numbers and good debugging tools.  Something better than the default IDLE program that is installed already with ArcGIS.  We thought that PyScripter would be a good option, but it appears that it is a malicious program.  I appreciate any direction you can provide.

10 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Most IDEs are compatible with ArcGIS, so the question boils down to asking what the best IDE is in general, for which you will get a wide range of responses.  Since line numbers and debugging tools are common in IDEs, I don't see any requirements you have that would indicate one IDE is better than others.

Regarding

We thought that PyScripter would be a good option, but it appears that it is a malicious program.

I am not a huge PyScripter fan, but to say an actively maintained open source IDE is "a malicious program" is a bold statement.  What information/criteria are you using to come to your determination?

0 Kudos
shildebrand
Occasional Contributor

Our IT department ran a scan on PyScripter using Virus Total and it McAfee-GW-Edition threw a red flag, so they deemed it as malicious.  Are there any third-party ide's out there that might be "safer" to use?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There are numerous reasons antivirus might flag a program, some of them being false positives.  That said, picking a fight over PyScripter isn't really necessary since there are so many other Python IDEs available.

If you want a robust, open-source Python IDE, I suggest you look into Visual Studio Code - Code Editing. Redefined 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Lots of folks use PyCharm. But as I lean towards the lazy side, I always take the path of least resistance so I use Spyder since I can easily add it to a cloned environment.  I have found it very intuitive and easy to use.  I probably use only a minor amount of Spyder's full functionality.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Samuel Hildebrand,

I'd recommend Notepad++. I have been using this free source code editor myself for many years now, as it supports several languages.

I started using it to create little MapBasic apps (way back in my MapInfo years) and nowadays I use it for Python, JavaScript, HTML, essentially everything... (Hmm, everything except R. For your R scripts I'd recommend RStudio.)

HTH,

Egge-Jan

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

Dan Patterson‌ recently created a poll on this topic and there's a lot of great information in the comments.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am a big fan of Spyder .  Spyder 4.0 is recently out and I use it for large and small projects.  I have used them all, but I have settled in on spyder.  Some people who do multilanguage programming go the "visual studio".

Have a look... I am still discovering things

/blogs/dan_patterson/2019/12/12/spyder-4-the-python-ide-for-science 

PS, I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.5 which isn't out yet, and there are some installation procedures, so you can just install Spyder 3 (in your clone I presume) or follow these instructions.

NOTE, they will be updates when 2.5 officially releases.

/blogs/dan_patterson/2019/06/28/arcgis-pro-24-installation-package-updates-and-installs 

/blogs/dan_patterson/2018/12/28/clone 

0 Kudos
LorneDmitruk2
New Contributor III

My go to IDE for Python is Pycharm. 

0 Kudos
DevinBartley2
New Contributor III

I've lately been using Visual Studio Code and found it to be a game changer for ArcPy development. The main reasons I like it (I know other IDE's may have some of these tools):

1. Can execute script line by line by highlighting it and hitting shift+enter. This is huge when you have a large data processing script and it fails a few minutes into processing. You can then just fix the line with the error and re-run until it works. This single feature alone allowed me to finish many python projects that I had never quite finished. 

2. Great debugging tools. You can step in and out of loops and functions and also add breaks into the code. 

3. Easy to integrate with GitHub and a huge library of extensions. 

0 Kudos