ArcGIS Earth Basemap Problems

Jump to solution
01-28-2020 04:17 PM
JulieEckman1
New Contributor III

I want to use AG Earth (version 1.8) so I can provide a KMZ with a different basemap.  Unfortunately, the basemap will not resolve when zooming in closer than the whole earth.    When I open up the basemap icon, all of the basemap thumbnails are imbedded with an orange triangle containing an exclamation mark and I can't change the basemap.  I signed into both my portal and AGOL accounts with the same result, and the basemaps function normally in AGOL and ArcGIS Pro.  Has any one run across this problem?  Thank you...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JulieEckman1
New Contributor III

Good afternoon, Xuewen:

Thank you for the response.  I had our IT folks update my AG Earth to 1.9, and now it seems the basemaps work - they adjust resolution down to 1,000 foot eye level.  Consider this issue resolved.

Regards, Julie Eckman

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Make me think it may be an issue with your internet connection and limitations.

0 Kudos
JulieEckman1
New Contributor III

Robert, I was wondering that also, but am sort of perplexed with the basemaps functioning normally in AGOL usage (such as Map View and Dashboard) and in ArcGIS Pro.  Not sure if different portals are involved, but I will contact our IT folks.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I don't use Earth, but I started it up and added an air photo base map and everything worked just like it does in Google Earth.  Does it do it before you add your kmz?

0 Kudos
XuewenZhang
Esri Contributor

Hi Julie,

Could you please help to check the spatial reference setting in ArcGIS Earth. In V1.8, there is a defect that if the tiled basemap spatial reference didn't match the spatial reference setting in Earth, then there is an orange triangle containing an exclamation mark.

You can check more detail from this question: Basemaps unavailable at 1.8 

Thanks,

Xuewen

0 Kudos
JulieEckman1
New Contributor III

Good afternoon, Xuewen:

Thank you for the response.  I had our IT folks update my AG Earth to 1.9, and now it seems the basemaps work - they adjust resolution down to 1,000 foot eye level.  Consider this issue resolved.

Regards, Julie Eckman