Does a map tour template exist in the new ArcGIS Story Maps?

Jump to solution
01-22-2020 06:16 AM
ScottHansen__MDP_
Occasional Contributor

In classic ESRI Story Maps, I could build a map tour which would present a set of photos or videos along with captions linked to an interactive map. Does the new ArcGIS Story Maps have this functionality? If not, does anyone know if it is coming in the future?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Scott -- Yep, it's coming...in an update later today/tonight.. 🙂

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Scott -- Yep, it's coming...in an update later today/tonight.. 🙂

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
ScottHansen__MDP_
Occasional Contributor

I am hoping ESRI has a document that explains the differences in functionality between Classic and ArcGIS StoryMaps?  

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

There's a small chart here, but it's not an exhaustive list:

The Next Generation of Storytelling | ArcGIS StoryMaps Timeline 

We're thinking about generating one after our next release. What features are you most interested in comparing?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
ScottHansen__MDP_
Occasional Contributor

It would be helpful to see which classic templates are carried over to the new version. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Also this article may be helpful:

Moving to the new ArcGIS StoryMaps 

It will be updated soon to reflect the new features being released in tonight's software update.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
ScottHansen__MDP_
Occasional Contributor

Can you please let me know as soon as this update occurs? I am looking forward to using map tour functionality in the new ArcGIS StoryMaps.

0 Kudos
Melissa__Danielle_Pugh
New Contributor III

Guided tour beta is out now and it is *awesome*!!!! Definitely better than the OG map tour imho. Only downside is that there does not seem to be a way to add "reference" layers in the map (can only add tour points) but that is probably in their future enhancement roadmap.  

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Melissa -- thanks for the feedback and we're glad you're enjoying the new guided tour. 🙂

Yes, we're looking into providing the ability to add reference layers from ArcGIS as well as providing the capability to sketch right on a guided tour map using the express map drawing tools.

If you absolutely need to do that now, you could create a classic tour with the required reference layers and embed that in your ArcGIS StoryMaps story. 🙂

Owen Evans
Melissa__Danielle_Pugh
New Contributor III

It's not a deal-breaker for me atm just a "nice to have".

On a different note, is there an upper limit on the number of images the media panel can handle? I didn't see one listed in your blog post but it is highly possible that I could have overlooked it  .

0 Kudos