Roadway Lines from TWO points?

01-22-2020 07:35 AM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Everyone,

I have a data feed that gives me two points (FromLat/Long, ToLat/Long) per event, the beginning and ending of a roadway issue.  For example, ICE COVERED ROADWAY.

I need to find a way to capture the roadway line between the two points and be able to display it as ICE COVERED ROADWAY.  Sometimes the length spans different routes (names, numbers, etc.).

• I have access to road datasets, but do not know how to approach setting up the data or process it to clip the lines between the points.
  • I have thought about trying to use a Routing Service, but do not think I can connect to one with the available connectors.

Has anyone in Transportation‌, Real-Time & Big Data GIS or GeoEvent done anything like this?

Thanks,

--Adam

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hey Adam,

I did something similar for a city to show trails have been plowed. 

1.  In this scenario, I would first convert the two points to a line geometry and write the feature to a feature service.  You can create a line geometry using the Field Calculator and the following expression:

'{"paths":[[[' + x1 + ',' + y1 + '],[' + x2 + ',' + y2 + ']]], "spatialReference":{"wkid":4326}}'

2.  Once you have this data as a feature service, set up an input to poll this feature service.

3.  Add a field (i.e. ice_cover_status) to your road dataset to show whether it's ice covered or not.

4.  Publish the road dataset as a feature service, and then import this feature service as GeoFences

5.  Create an output to update the road dataset feature service in GeoEvent

6.  Create a GeoEvent Service to link the input created in step 2 to the output road dataset created in step 5.  Here is an example of how I updated a trails feature service once the snow plow exited the trail:

• The GeoTagger will be set with a Spatial Operator Intersects Any for the Geofences you imported in step 4
  • Create a filter to filter where the GeoTag Field Name is not NULL
  • Use the Field Enricher processor to enrich the road dataset to the event using the geofence name field (the field you specified as the Name field when you imported the geofences) and the GeoTag Field Name
  • Calculate the ice_cover_status field to something like Yes or True
  • Finally use the Field Mapper processor to update the road dataset output
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks much Jake Skinner!

I will have to try this out and see how much I get surrounding streets.  Were you using a specific piece of a dataset - say, interstates only - or just specific "agency owned" roadways?

I am also going to have a number of roadway conditions to account for - not just ice.  This gives me a great place to start.

Thanks again!

--Adam

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The dataset we working with were Regional Trails that were used by pedestrians and bicyclists.