grid for editing area systematically?

01-20-2020 11:23 AM
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I am cleaning up polylines in a 100,000 acre area that were originally created using a GPS while driving. I need to clean these lines up at about 1:5,000 so I can see how they align with a high resolution DEM and I am getting lost as far as knowing where I have already checked the polylines within the project area.  

Is there a way to create a grid that would indicated where I have already done the editing? I can imagine creating a shapefile that grids the project area into equal areas of 1,000 acres (how to do that?) with two classes, one for "reviewed" and one for "not reviewed", and then manually editing the shapefile grid to help me keep track, but this seems kinda clunky and I was wondering what other folks do in this kind of situation.

Thanks~

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Just create a polygon layer with the attributes you want and then draw the polygons.

Not as daunting as it sounds.  This is best done in ArcMap if you have it.

Using the COGO tool create your first polygon using your polygon layer as a template.

Or simply create the polygon using absolute direction and distance.

Just adjust it until you get it to the size you need to represent your 1:5000

The copy and paste the polygon back and use the move tool to move it east or west or north or south so it matches up on the edge.

IF you used exact distance you can use the Move command to move it precisely.

After you have pasted and moved some 10 polygons then select all 10 paste and move.

you can create a polygon grid of exceptional size very quickly this way.  You could cover the state of Iowa in about 15 minutes.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Create Fishnet—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

If the pattern is indeed regular, you can create a pattern of your desired cell width and height, a little rotation, nudging and you have a basic for editing or comparing