license is in need of a repair operation

01-19-2020 01:20 PM
DarrenSaunders1
New Contributor

When I attempt to launch ArcMap, I get the message that "The ArcGIS for desktop standard license is in need of a repair operation.  Please access the ArcGIS Administrator to repair your license."

Version is 10.4.1 running on Windows Server 2012.

When I run ArcGIS Administrator, there is no repair option.

I also tried running SoftwareAuthorization.exe /s /repair all at the command line which didn't appear to do anything.

Is there anything else I can try?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Darren,

You should see something like the image below when starting ArcGIS Administrator.  Remember you will need to log in with Administrative rights to the system to make changes to the ArcGIS Administrator.  If you still don't see the "Repair" option as you've mentioned, you must manually remove the existing corrupt license.  To do so, open the Windows Explorer and go to C:\ProgramData.  Renamed FLEXnet.  A new start of the ArcGIS Administrator will create a new default FLEXnet folder.  This will get ArcMap back to it's initial state.  However, you still must authorize the software since the license was corrupt and removed.  Go to MyEsri > Recover lost licenses to get a new entitlement.  Proceed to authorize the software using your new entitlement. 

If you're not comfortable with the workflow, I suggest you contact Esri Support to have an analyst go through it with you. 

SolhemHermann
New Contributor II

Dear Amnoy Am,

I was having this problem for several weeks. Now you make my life easy because I can not spend one day  without booting up ArcMap. Thank you ever so much for putting a bit of your time in helping others. Kudos!!!!!!!!!!!

Hermann Solhem