How to change size of a symbol in layer properties

Jump to solution
01-10-2020 05:55 AM
RickHawkins
New Contributor II

I want to use a python script to change the size of a symbol under layer properties and the symbology tab. I want to do this for 1 layer.

I am not sure how to do this. Would i use something like  lyr.symbology.xxxx? Can you change the size of a symbol?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rick Hawkins ,

You can use ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap side by side (if you computer matches the requirements of ArcGIS Pro). Is it difficult to switch from ArcMap to Pro... not too difficult, but it will take time. Here are some resources to get started:

Do you need to change any Python code? Probably... depending on what functionality you have been using. You will be changing from Python 2.x to 3.x and there are changes. If you have been creating maps using automation in Python this will need to be rewritten, but most of the toolbox tools will still be the same.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

depends on the type of symbol, but here is one example

Symbol—ArcPy | ArcGIS Desktop 

check the code examples

XanderBakker

Hi Rick Hawkins , 

I noticed that your screenshot refers to ArcMap. In ArcMap the options to change the symbology  are very limited (no options to change the symbol size, if you don't have a layerfile that you can apply).

The Link provided by Dan Patterson shows how you can do it using ArcGIS Pro. If you are not using ArcGIS Pro yet, now would be a good time to start.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Good catch Xander... I forget ArcMap is still around sometimes

RickHawkins
New Contributor II

i'll have to check with my IT group so see what the plans are for changing us to ArcGIS Pro. i don't think that is going to be soon. How difficult is it to go from ArcMap to ArcGis Pro? What needs to be done? Does any python code need to be modified?

Sorry about the questions but i am very new to ArcGIS and python. I may ask IT to upgrade and see what they say.

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi Rick Hawkins ,

You can use ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap side by side (if you computer matches the requirements of ArcGIS Pro). Is it difficult to switch from ArcMap to Pro... not too difficult, but it will take time. Here are some resources to get started:

Do you need to change any Python code? Probably... depending on what functionality you have been using. You will be changing from Python 2.x to 3.x and there are changes. If you have been creating maps using automation in Python this will need to be rewritten, but most of the toolbox tools will still be the same.

0 Kudos
RickHawkins
New Contributor II

thank you Xander and Dan for the help and information

0 Kudos