What kind of encoding is supported in ArcGIS REST services string fields?

01-08-2020 01:57 PM
VincentLantaca1
New Contributor III

I have created a file geodatabase with a string field. Some records contain emojis for that field. I used ArcMap to set up a ArcGIS REST service for that database, and so far it seems to work.

However, another service (non-Esri) pulls from this REST service. Sometimes, while trying to pull data from the REST service, it gives an error:

"Error while processing: The remote ArcGIS server is not responding: [500] Error performing query operation"

I've contacted support for that other service, and they think it's coming from ArcGIS server. The strange thing, though, is that this other service pulls from other ArcGIS REST services just fine.

So I'm trying to think of reasons why there is problems with this ArcGIS REST service in particular. One of the things I can think of is that it is probably the only one with emojis. When I query the service from the web url, the emojis are displayed with weird characters: ��

So my question is what kind of encoding do string fields support for ArcGIS REST services? Could emojis in the data mess up a service?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies