View Layers: Share Only One Feature

01-07-2020 12:56 PM
ChristopherBrazee
New Contributor

I've published our water network data to our ArcGIS Online site using the old Water Distribution Network solution. This groups all of the water features into a single hosted feature layer.

I would like to share just the hydrants feature set with the fire department and county 911 dispatcher. Not wanting to duplicate data, I was hoping to create a new view layer with just the hydrants, but it appears that there is no way to do so without sharing all of the other water feature sets as well.

In ArcGIS Online is it possible to share just one set of features from a hosted feature layer that contains several? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Christopher,

I think you'll be able to accomplish this by setting a hosted feature layer view definition. You can define which features you want to show in the view during this workflow: Set hosted feature layer view definition—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

Hope that helps,

-Peter

PeterDalrymple
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

Any insight into why views created from grouped feature layers wouldn't be visible in the new version collector for arcgis* (Android), while being visible in the collector classic? I have a view that fits the description of your recommendation for Christopher, which is visible in AGOL and Collector Classic, but not in the new Collector (Android). Is this a known issue?

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Peter, adding the Collector for ArcGIS‌ space to see if they have any insight into this.

Thanks,

-Peter 

ChristopherBrazee
New Contributor

Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion. This appears to be a usable workaround, if a bit cumbersome to set up initially. The Water Distribution Network solution I'm using has twelve layers in a single hosted feature layer, so I'd have to write eleven view definitions to hide everything but the one layer I want to share. Certainly not the worst thing in the world but seems like there should be an easier way.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the response; I agree that managing Hosted Feature Services with a lot of layers could be better and we are actively making improvements to this. For now if you have to do this multiple times it may be worth looking into automating it. This KB article provides a starting place: How To: Create a view from a hosted feature layer and define the view using ArcGIS API for Python 

Hope this helps,

-Peter

0 Kudos