On the fly projection is way off

01-07-2020 10:08 AM
South_JordanCity_of
Occasional Contributor

Hi all!

I added a point shapefile, downloaded from one of our Trimble survey controllers, to my ArcPro project, and I noticed that the On-The-Fly projection is way off.

The coordinate system of the project is NAD 1983 StatePLane Utah Central FIPS 4302 Feet, and the shapefile's spatial reference is GCS WGS 1984, WKID 4326.

This problem only occurs in ArcPro (left image) and not in ArcMap (right image),

ArcPro ArcMap

What am I missing here, and how can I make ArcPro project the added shapefile properly?

Thanks for your help!

3 Replies
ShawnWampler
New Contributor II

I'm am having this same problem, did you find a resolution?

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I believe this may be solved with Pro's transformation options

psb blog from

Heather Smith

Projection on the fly and geographic transformations 

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi everybody, 

I'm sorry that I didn't respond to this before. Both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro support on-the-fly reprojection which often includes a geographic/datum transformation component. Both software packages use the same underlaying code, so if you have different results, it's usually because they're not using the same transformation. Open the map or data frame properties and make sure the same geographic transformation is being used. 

ArcGIS Pro will often automatically select a transformation, but ArcMap doesn't do that, so it's easy to have the two giving different results.

Melita