Left and Right Offset of data

Jump to solution
01-02-2020 04:43 AM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

How can I create the left and right offset in the ArcGIS Online map like it is previewed in the youtube tutorial of Quick Capture?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

If you want to apply an offset to your captured data, you would need to capture the offset and direction as attributes and then use them as the basis of a post-processing operation.

For example, you could have a button for 5m left and a button for 5m right. Capturing breadcrumbs (continuous points) would populate the Side field with Left or Right and the Offset field with 5. If you then updated a direction field using the direction of travel variable, you would have all you need to calculate the offset. 

In ArcGIS Pro, you could calculate the offset direction as a new field. If the direction captured in the direction field was 0 degrees (North) then:

- A Left offset would be 0 + 270 = 270

- A Right offset would be 0 + 90 = 90

(If the answer equals 360 or more, then you would just need to minus 360 from the answer)

You will now have all the required inputs for the following tool:

Move a feature to a specified location—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Ricardo - there's a Learn ArcGIS tutorial referenced here that may provide insight on how to create/set-up the left/right side capture of data.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the answer!
Not totally what I was searching for but it helps to understand it more on how to capture left/right side data. Thanks for that!

JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

If you want to apply an offset to your captured data, you would need to capture the offset and direction as attributes and then use them as the basis of a post-processing operation.

For example, you could have a button for 5m left and a button for 5m right. Capturing breadcrumbs (continuous points) would populate the Side field with Left or Right and the Offset field with 5. If you then updated a direction field using the direction of travel variable, you would have all you need to calculate the offset. 

In ArcGIS Pro, you could calculate the offset direction as a new field. If the direction captured in the direction field was 0 degrees (North) then:

- A Left offset would be 0 + 270 = 270

- A Right offset would be 0 + 90 = 90

(If the answer equals 360 or more, then you would just need to minus 360 from the answer)

You will now have all the required inputs for the following tool:

Move a feature to a specified location—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the answer!
In the video it looked like when they where driving it automaticallly stores the date to the left and/or right side of the road (see the screenshot I sent). We where hoping that this was possible and not that afterwards it still needs to be processed.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ricardo, yes the video was to explain the concept only. The offsets can't be applied dynamically.

0 Kudos
HeatherWidlund
Occasional Contributor

Hi JHasthorpe-esristaff

I'm interested in the Direction of Travel variable you reference. In the documentation, I only see direction of travel as a variable for point features. The only ones listed for lines and polygons are 

VariableDescriptionCompatible field type

username

Currently signed in user name.

Text

positionSourceType

Category of the position source. Potential results are Unknown (0), User (1), System Location (2), External Device(3), and Network Device (4).

Integer

startTime

Date and time the button is activated.

Date

endTime

Date and time the button is deactivated.

Date

Can you confirm that having a field for Direction in a polyline layer will record a direction? It seems like you might have to collect continuous points instead? How would this work?

My use case is collecting road centerlines. The driver could be in the right lane fully, or for some of the narrow back roads, actually on the centerline. We would be using QC buttons to distinguish surface types for lines and I was thinking I could specify whether there is an offset.

Thanks,

Heather

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Heather,

The lines and polygons don't have a direction variable. This is because lines can be long and could change direction and it is not clear whether the variable should be capturing the start or the end of the line (or take an average). If you have any thoughts on this, I'll add it to an enhancement.

As you mentioned you would need to use breadcrumbs in order to have the direction of travel for each point.

Option 1: Apply the offset to the breadcrumbs, and then use the updated points to create the centerlines. To make a line from points you can use the following: Points To Line—Data Management toolbox | Documentation. If you use a project userinput to write a unique ID to the collected breadcrumbs, you can record the road segment each breadcrumb belongs to. Each segment will then become a separate line when the tool is run.

Option 2: Another approach would be to just continuously capture breadcrumbs while you capture each road segment as a line. When you bring the collected data into Pro (breadcrumbs and lines) you could perform a spatial join between the breadcrumbs and lines. This will create new lines populated with a summary of all breadcrumbs that intersect the line. You could, for example, take the average direction of travel for all intersecting breadcrumbs. Once the lines have an average direction of travel attribute. You could then apply the offsets in the manner I described above.

I would go with option 2. 

Please let me know if you need any help with this workflow.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
HeatherWidlund
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response, John. I see in reading your original answer more carefully that you had specified the collection of continuous points. As you note, it doesn't make any sense to have that variable for a line/polygon. I will mull things over as I start testing and let you know if I have any questions. Another option for my use case is simply to collect points at the surface change locations and manipulate my existing lines (generally from aerial photos) instead of trying to collect centerlines at the same time.

0 Kudos