Kernel Density Estimation of Polygon Features

03-20-2011 11:46 AM
ChristopherBlinn
New Contributor
I am running into an issue trying to conduct a kernel density estimation on a polygon layer.  Here is what I am doing:

I have linear features that have a spatial error in their location.  To account for this I created a buffer polygon layer around each line.  The buffer represents all possible areas the line feature could have existed.  I want to run a kernel density estimation at multiple bandwidths (needing multiple outputs) on the polygon features.  To do this,  I converted the polygon layer to a raster (values of 1 for cells that are autocorrelated with the polygons, values of 0 for background).  From there, I want to convert the raster back into either points or polylines, running a kernel density estimation requires either a point or polyline geometry for the input.  I attempted each of these tools (raster to point and raster to polyline), and approximately 25% through each process, it terminates with the error 999999.

This was the only attempt I had thought of to calculate a kernel density estimation of polygon features.  I am unaware of how to get passed the 999999 error, or how to create a more efficient process to calculate the kernel density estimation for polygons.

Thank you in advance for your time in helping me with this issue.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChristopherBlinn
New Contributor
I think I have found the problem.

When I created the raster from the polygons I made the cell sizes very small, to make the resolution as high as possible.  Because of that, I have over 400 million cells, which means when I try to create a point file, I am exceeding the maximum size of a shapefile (about 70 million features).  Going to reduce the resolution and run process again.
0 Kudos