can an App Studio app retain field values?

Jump to solution
12-11-2019 05:57 AM
DaveWeiss
New Contributor

I am working on an app in app studio where people enter their name and email along with some other information and then submit a record. If they immediately want to add another record is there a way to have some fields retain the previous value so the person does not have to retype their name and email?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Orlo, 

Yes, this is added in Quick Report template 4.3 Beta, please see this blog post for more details and how to download the AppStudio 4.3 Beta. https://community.esri.com/groups/appstudio/blog/2020/07/13/introducing-arcgis-appstudio-43-beta 

Thank you,

Erwin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
OrloDennison
New Contributor III

Short answer is no. This seems to be a frequent request Cached Text Responses? Check out this thread for a work-around Save User Info in Quick Report When App is Closed 

0 Kudos
DaveWeiss
New Contributor

Thanks, I have started looking into the code and got as far as populating the text box with a valued when the app opens. I haven't been able to save the value of a text box when the app closes. That thread you referenced seems to end at that point with the same question. Can you tell me in which file a variable that is to be updated should get defined?

Dave

0 Kudos
OrloDennison
New Contributor III

Hi Dave

I've used the workaround and it does save the user details on closure and loads them on opening. The limitation of the workaround is that there's no option to pass the details from one page to another, in the same session. For example, if you change the user details on the SettingsPage - the new information will not be loaded onto the AddDetailsPage until the app is closed and restarted.

I've tried a number of different options to resolve this but to no avail. Sorry I can't be of more assistance

Cheers,

Orlo

0 Kudos
DaveWeiss
New Contributor

Do the user details have to be changed on the Settings Page? What I was trying to do is save what the user entered in the Name field when they finish the details page and populate the text box with that value next time they run the app. Never opening the Settings Page.

Dave

0 Kudos
OrloDennison
New Contributor III

Yes, what you are trying to do would be the most ideal scenario but I have yet to come across a way of doing this. 

The workaround has the user first enter their details one time on the SettingsPage and saves them.The AddDetailsPage then calls on the SettingsPage to pre-populate the required text fields. 

If you figure out a better solution please let me know, because this has been a major frustration of mine.

0 Kudos
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Dave, 

There are many ways to achieve this but in general, it is basically saving the values you want to retain in a model, then reloading it back to the TextBox

This is an example, liquid/SuggestionBox.qml at master · jturcotte/liquid · GitHub  

Thank you,

Erwin 

0 Kudos
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello, 

Did you end up logging this enhancement with Esri Technical Support ? Do you have the bug or enhancement number from regarding this? If not I can help adding log it by providing your customer number.

We are working on adding this feature added on the Quick Report template, targeting our User Conference release timeline. 

Thank you,

Erwin.

0 Kudos
DaveWeiss
New Contributor

No, I never contacted ESRI directly about it.

Dave

0 Kudos
OrloDennison
New Contributor III

This is great news Erwin. 

Thanks

Orlo

0 Kudos