Near Analysis - With Network Road Distance

12-09-2019 01:33 PM
KatieGaut
Occasional Contributor

I have a point dataset that I need to calculate the road network distance to the nearest section of polyline.  I have the following licenses:

1)  Network Analyst

2)  StreetMap Premium

3)  ArcPro/Desktop Basic (No Spatial Analyst or advanced tools)

Since there isn't a discrete point to calculate distance to in my polyline feature, it doesn't seem like a lot of the functionality of the network analyst will work (location-allocation, route solver, etc). 

I essentially need a "Near Analysis" but calculating road distance. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RachelApplebaum
Esri Contributor

Hi Katie,

I'm assuming that your polyline feature to which you want the distance is in a separate feature class than your road centerlines are. If that's not the case, let me know.

You could try creating point at every intersection of the roads with your polyline feature (You could use the Intersect tool for this, Intersect—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ). The create an OD Cost Matrix Analysis layer (OD cost matrix analysis layer—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop ) and load the intersection points in as your destinations and the other points in as origins. Then solve for the 1 closest destination.

Note, using the OD Cost Matrix analysis will return straight line geometry output, but the distances reported will be for the driving distance. If you want the actual geometry, then use the Closest Facility analysis (Closest facility analysis layer—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop ) and load the intersection points as facilities and the other points as the incidents.

Hope this helps!

-Rachel