AnsweredAssumed Answered

ArcGIS Online and Portal - I'm So Confused!

Question asked by achipman on Dec 9, 2019
Latest reply on Mar 12, 2020 by PKlingman-esristaff

I've been wading through upgrading our ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 to ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 for months now. It is an incredibly confusing and daunting task for someone with little to no experience with servers and the "back-end" of software. I've researched and read so many documents and websites I just can't keep anything straight any more.

How is ArcGIS Online and Portal different? Or is it the same thing, kinda like ArcGIS Server is now ArcGIS Enterprise?

If I move all of my data and mxds to the new 10.6.1 server and publish new services from that server, will they automatically be published in Portal? If so, will everyone who has access to my ArcGIS Online account still be able to see and use everything?

And, why do I have 80 named users available in my Portal? Can I move them to my ArcGIS Online? Will my named users have access to both ArcGIS Online and Portal?

These are just today's questions. The next time my work load lightens up and I have the time and brainpower to think on the migration task, I'm sure I'll have more.

Outcomes