ArcGIS Pro Bug Reporting w/o the Hassle

12-09-2019 06:31 AM
ScottStopyak
Occasional Contributor II

I would like to report bugs with the current "stable" ArcGIS Pro. Is there a way to do this yet without having to go through the support system? I don't have time in my life to go through a lengthy zoom share issue reproduction with a non-development team support tech which will typically end in no bug even being submitted. I want to help. I just want to report an issue and be done. I want to say, "I tried this tool in this environment. This unexpected thing happened." Done. I don't necessarily want a string of follow up emails, phone calls, shreen sharing...etc. I certainly don't want to spend half a day troubleshooting or finding a work around. I know what the work around is. Use ArcMap or ArcCatalog or QGIS instead. 

32 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

No, there really is no other way. I will say though, if you write a good steps to repro, a case can be closed in a day. There are several good analysts, I've had a few take what I initially submitted and the first and only email I got was the bug confirmation. 

I guess it depends on how motivated you are to have the issue fixed. 

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

As Thomas Colson‌ suggests, you gotta play the game by the rules. I've had more than my fair share of bug reporting and yes, it can be PITA but if you want it resolved the procedure needs to be followed....

That should just about do it....
ScottStopyak

I guess my point is that the rules are kind of broken. If there was a developer on the other end of the support ticket, it'd be different. There's no bad feedback, so there should be an additional avenue for someone to drop a report and go, IMHO.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Well.. There is the ideas page: I'd give you a vote up if you submit something like 'Streamline Bug Reporting'  with some detailed suggestions.

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Since 2018, I've opened 85 cases, resulting in 76 bugs, which indicates typically a bug will be submitted. Give them a call....

ScottStopyak

I've had good luck with US support which is typically very knowledgeable and willing to file bug reports, but if I get India support the experience is much different. Also, once a bug gets filed it may never be resolved, which makes me less likely to want to go through the current process. It's much easier for me to simply fire up Arcmap or Catalog. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, so esri probably loses a lot of valuable feedback just because bug reporting is inconvenient. If it was my product, I'd make it as painless as possible to report issues. I'll post it on Ideas if it isn't already there.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You get to vote too!

DavidMcClennen
New Contributor III

...and is there a particular time of day I should call/report to get US Support? Every time I've called or reached out I always get India support. While they're fine, it does frustrate me when there's a breakdown in communication...

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak

If you call during business hours pacific time and ask the operator to please give you US support and please not India, they'll usually oblige. Not that India support is terrible. They are fine for some kinds of basic support and are good at following up. However, there are things that they don't do well. It has been my experience that chasing down bugs and creating bug reports is not really in their wheelhouse. US support is 100% better for bugs and other complex issues. Also, communication with US support is much easier for me because we speak with the same accent.