AnsweredAssumed Answered

Gecoding Locators: Are Multi-Field still preferred over single field

Question asked by jborgion Champion on Dec 6, 2019
Latest reply on Dec 6, 2019 by jborgion

For as long as I can remember (which any more isn't that far back) the rule of thumb for creating geocoding locators was to use data that had all the address components in separate fields.  Is that still the case?

For example; if you are matching against centerlines, you want the pre_dir, name, suf_dir & street type all in separate fields.  Same would be true for address points: house_number, street components, and unit designator all split out in their own fields.

Now I see not only in the old style address locators, but the new style locators mapping to 'FULL STREET NAME' or 'FULL ADDRESS' which indicates to me that S MAIN ST in a single street name field or 1234 E ELM AVE #2 in a single address field isn't such a bad thing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and put the suspected answer in front of my question, which is "It depends".  My question though is this:  With either of the locator approaches (old school and new)  is it still preferred to keep fields separate in the matching data or is it okay to have them merged into one?

Shana Britt

Brad Niemand

Eric Anderson

Outcomes