I have a column of data in an attribute table that I would like to visually display on the map I am creating. How do I do this?

12-05-2019 04:05 PM
AddisonGaines
New Contributor

This column is directly linked to another column and I need to show this data on the map I am making. What do I have to do to display this data on the map? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

You'll only be able to display it if you can link the attributes to a geometry or geometry fields (lat & lon and display as XY-event layer), or do a join to another feature class based on a unique attribute.

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Addison,

If the column is in a layer that has geometry, that layer will already be drawing on your map and you need to change the symbology/style so it references the column you want.

If the column is in a different layer - perhaps a table without any geometry, like a CSV file - then you need to join that table to your spatial layer using a common column before you can symbolize.

The specific instructions will vary depending on what product you are using. Here's documentation on changing symbology for three products:

ArcGIS Online: Change style—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

ArcGIS Pro: Symbolize feature layers—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

ArcMap: About displaying layers—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Additionally, you can learn how to do this in any of the Get Started lessons.

And here's documentation about joins:

ArcGIS Online: Join Features—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

ArcGIS Pro: Overview of joins and relates—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

ArcMap: Joining attributes in one table to another—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Table joins are also covered in the lesson Homeless in the Badlands.

0 Kudos