Configuration Export - What should be Changed when giving to someone else?

12-05-2019 07:48 AM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

I have used GeoEvent configuration export to migrate GeoEvent inputs, outputs and services to new installs within my own environment - with mixed results.  I have some regularly logged errors in my current GeoEvent Server that are happening because it is making calls to a couple of servers that haven't been in operation for years.  No, there are no visible references to any of these servers within any Input, Output, Services, Components or Settings.  I'm guessing that the import has made this happen.  Not sure.

So now - I have been providing a GeoEvent service to a colleague, who now has her own GeoEvent install, and would like to do this on her own.  What do I need to do to prepare an Export for sharing with someone else? 

A few that I am thinking of:

• Any Credentials.  Like login strings in Inputs to connect to remote data sources - or Data Stores (credentials to ArcGIS Online, etc.)
  • "hostName" information - for example, in an input:

Seems as this just refers to the name of the host where GE is installed.  Will this be overwritten on the new machine?
  • runningState="STARTED" or clusterCommand="START"?
    It can be nice to import items and NOT have them running.  I have no idea what the Cluster Command is, but it seems to coordinate with the runningState.
  • Within GEDefinitions:  owner="myusername@mydomain"
    Will this just overwrite in the other person's environment - or is this retained and will be an issue if this user is not defined in the other install?

AND ONE LAST QUESTION:

If I want to share one complete GeoEvent process, from Input, through Service and Output, do I need to do a "Selective Export" for each of the components (input, service, output) OR can I just export the SERIVCE?  The Service export seems to contain everything that is in it, including input, output, all definitions, connectors,etc.

Thank you!

--Adam

0 Kudos
0 Replies