State Plane Coordinate Basemap

12-04-2019 06:29 AM
ZacharyJaffe
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I know this question has been asked, but I  haven't been able to find a clear answer.

I am working with data that is in NAD 83 Florida State Plane that I would like to publish to ArcGIS Online, but obviously when I do so, I drop the basemap because the coordinate systems do not match. How can I create an ESRI sat imagery basemap (for example) with NAD83 coordinates for online use? There has to be a way.

Thanks!

Zach

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Zach,

Does using basemap layers in ArcGIS Online work for you? 

Creating basemaps using layers 

I'm hoping that gets you what you need, but if not, maybe others here in GeoNet have ideas?

Fingers crossed!

Best,

Lauren

0 Kudos
ZacharyJaffe
New Contributor III

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately this won't work. I need to some how create an aerial imagery basemap that is in a NAD83 state plan coordinate system, not WGS 84.

Thanks,

Zach

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Zachary,

The workflow for creating a custom basemap in ArcGIS Online is the same as described above and does involve using Basemap Layers, as mentioned previously:

Using custom basemaps 

Since you're working with aerial imagery, here's a rough outline of what might work:

What results is a map that's in the spatial projection of the tile package. Keep in mind that the tiling scheme created in the first step needs to be custom. If it uses the ArcGIS Online tiling scheme, it will use Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere all through the rest of the process. But using a custom tiling scheme keeps the spatial reference of the original aerial imagery (in this case, NAD83 state plan coordinate system)

But hopefully that's a clearer workflow to use!

-Lauren