Living Atlas

Jump to solution
11-26-2019 07:31 AM
chinenyemadu
New Contributor

I live in Nigeria and work with ArcGIS, i noticed satellite imagery was last updated in Jaji, Kaduna State Nigeria, Nov 2014, in trying to compare i noticed google map is more updated, although with my knowledge in Living Atlas the satellite imagery is periodically updated, why is capturing in Nigeria "neglected".

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DeaneKensok
Esri Contributor

Hello and thanks for the question.  I was a little surprised with the currency of the imagery for Jaji in your screenshot so I double-checked our Imagery with Metadata web map and the dates I'm seeing are a bit different.  The current imagery for Jaji seems to be from November 2015-2016 (e.g. 3-4 years old), which is more what I would expect.

Another useful tool to see the latest and previous versions of our imagery is the World Imagery Wayback app. Looking at this, it looks like we last updated the imagery in this part of the world in September 2018, and there were a couple different versions available prior to that.

World Imagery Wayback App, showing imagery in Jaji, Nigeria

In general, our goal for our World Imagery map is to have detailed (source 50cm or better) imagery that is within 3-5 years of currency.  We update the imagery on a regular basis with the latest imagery that is available to us.  For the DigitalGlobe Vivid imagery that we have for this part of the world, we are now starting to update all of the world with the latest Vivid imagery each year.  I will double-check but I expect we will be deploying a Vivid imagery update to this part of the world in the near future.  This will likely update the imagery in Jaji to something more recent than above, assuming high quality imagery was captured in the past 1-2 years.  As we make significant updates to our World Imagery map, we will be publishing info to the ArcGIS Living Atlas blog site.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DeaneKensok
Esri Contributor

Hello and thanks for the question.  I was a little surprised with the currency of the imagery for Jaji in your screenshot so I double-checked our Imagery with Metadata web map and the dates I'm seeing are a bit different.  The current imagery for Jaji seems to be from November 2015-2016 (e.g. 3-4 years old), which is more what I would expect.

Another useful tool to see the latest and previous versions of our imagery is the World Imagery Wayback app. Looking at this, it looks like we last updated the imagery in this part of the world in September 2018, and there were a couple different versions available prior to that.

World Imagery Wayback App, showing imagery in Jaji, Nigeria

In general, our goal for our World Imagery map is to have detailed (source 50cm or better) imagery that is within 3-5 years of currency.  We update the imagery on a regular basis with the latest imagery that is available to us.  For the DigitalGlobe Vivid imagery that we have for this part of the world, we are now starting to update all of the world with the latest Vivid imagery each year.  I will double-check but I expect we will be deploying a Vivid imagery update to this part of the world in the near future.  This will likely update the imagery in Jaji to something more recent than above, assuming high quality imagery was captured in the past 1-2 years.  As we make significant updates to our World Imagery map, we will be publishing info to the ArcGIS Living Atlas blog site.

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
chinenyemadu
New Contributor

Definitely, am glad for the response.

Best regards.

0 Kudos